Sunday, August 23, 2009

Voting

With recent local elections, the upcoming national election and all the hooplah surrounding it, the question on everyone's mind right now is "Who are you voting for?" 
For me, the answer is quite simple in my mind "No one." Most people are shocked and appalled when they hear this. They think I'm one of the reasons "why our country is in the shape it's in." They simply assume I'm apathetic. That is far from the truth. I care very much. Other people who know me a little better are surprised. I have been very outspoken about my political beliefs in the past and the candidates I have supported. They wonder what has gotten into me.
The answer to why I don't vote is more complicated than my answer to who I'll be voting for. I don't vote because I'm a Christian. I believe that God is sovereign and His word says that He chooses authorities. So, on one hand I don't believe I need to. If the creator of the universe says that He is in charge; I believe Him. I don't think He needs my help. 
Now, for the other side of the coin. Even if I believed voting was necessary, I could not vote for one of the two major party candidates. I cannot support any candidate with such unholy values. One candidate supports abortion. Another supports a war. Is there really a difference? Innocent lives are lost in both. Are Iraqi children less valuable than American children? As a Christian, I also cannot support war because as a Christian I could not fight in a war; I would either have to a) take up arms against my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ or b)take up arms against a lost person and be the person to send them to their eternal damnation. If I won't do it, I'm not going to ask someone to do it for me.
There are other issues that they support that I certainly cannot, but these are the main two. 
I used to vote third party. I fluctuated between the libertarian party and the constitution party. As I said earlier, though, I don't think God needs my help. 
So, if I don't vote, what do I do? I pray. I pray for God to have His will in the elections. And I believe He does. His word says so. And I pray for the candidates. 
There's my 2 cents.

1 comment: